Every member of AfCAA shall foster a culture of acceptance, unity, love and compassion where individuals are not discriminated against because of their gender, origin, age, disability, ethnicity or race. The organization shall embrace and celebrate cultural differences that are consistent with Biblical truth as God’s creation, and shall encourage the organization’s staff to use cultural diversity for mutual enrichment. AfCAA shall promote teamwork, interdependence and partnership with like-minded entities fostering mutual respect.
- “God created man in his own image …. male and female He created them” (Gen.1:27) and “The rich and the poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all” (Prov.22:2)
- God is the author of cultural diversity – Acts 17:26, Genesis 1:27
- God’s calling is inclusive – John.3:16; and as Isaiah. 56:6-8 says: “For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples.” The Lord GOD, who gathers the dispersed of Israel, declares, “Yet others I will gather to them, to those already gathered” (NASB)
- God shows no partiality – Deuter.10:17; Acts.10:34-35; Col.3:11; 3:25)
Elaboration of Standard
1 Cultural Representation Members shall:-
- Ensure the composition of the Board and organization’s workforce reflects inclusivity and cultural diversity that is in line with Biblical standards.
- Ensure decision making is informed by sound and inclusive consultation and evidence-based processes.
- Conduct regular surveys to monitor the inclusion progress and to understand staff perceptions regarding inclusion.
2 Cross-cultural Awareness Training
- Sensitize and train employees on how differences affect or influence relationships at work, and on communication and conflict resolution techniques for working in a culturally diverse setting.
- Provide cultural awareness training and mentoring as part of new/seconded staff induction. This shall include exposure to etiquette and industry practices as appropriate.
- Promote cultural competency of the staff by including cultural diversity competence in performance evaluations and promotion processes.
3 Access and Participation
- Members shall seek to ensure all staff and visitors, including those with disabilities can access their facilities. ii) Members shall ensure culturally and linguistically diverse communities participate in their organization’s activities by promoting/enforcing the use of a common or widely known language.
4 Celebrating and Valuing Cultural Diversity
- Members shall support community and country celebrations related to cultural diversity in line with Biblical standards.
- Members shall promote their country’s diverse cultural activities through their organization’s images, artworks, documentation, websites and other suitable media.
- Members shall give priority to working with organizations (suppliers, donors etc.) that uphold cultural diversity in line with Biblical standards.
- Members shall seek to empower by giving opportunities to qualified disabled persons and persons from disadvantaged communities.